HSO Conductor and Artistic Director Position
We are excited to announce that we are seeking a talented and dynamic Conductor to start in 2023, our 98th Season. The right person will not only lead an amazing group of musicians, but also be an advocate and ambassador of our mission; build and foster community and regional relationships; and work with the Board of Directors and Business Manager to continue to champion music and arts in Hastings.
Please refer to the job description below and email Bruce Batterson (brucebatterson(at)gmail.com) with questions and materials. Applications will be accepted until the job is filled.
HSO CONDUCTOR and ARTISTIC DIRECTOR
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of symphonic music.
- Ability to conduct an orchestra.
- Ability to communicate effectively and tactfully, both orally and in writing.
The Conductor/Artistic Director reports to the President of the Hastings Symphony Board of Directors; in his/her/their absence to the President-Elect or the Vice President.
SALARY/TERM OF CONTRACT
Salary is set yearly by the Board of Directors. The term of the contract is July 1 through June 30.
Evaluation is to be done annually by the Personnel Committee.
- Attend regular meetings of the Board of Directors and provide information/materials to the Board to facilitate smooth operations.
- Interact positively with the Board of Directors, volunteers, area music educators, and the community.
- Assist with the promotion of the orchestra in the area, including publicity and advertising.
- Supply program information to the Board on a timely basis to meet specified deadlines for publicity purposes.
- Select music and programs for concerts that are appropriate to the abilities of the orchestra members, appropriate to the community, and within budget constraints as set by the Board.
- Engage musicians and guest artists, subject to the approval of the Board.
- In conjunction with the Business Manager and the HSO Board work to ensure the orchestra has music and equipment as needed for a rehearsal or concert.
- Rehearse and conduct the orchestra.
Please send the following materials to Bruce Batterson (brucebatterson(at)gmail.com) for consideration:
- Cover Letter
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- A document with links to representative videos of conducting (both performance and rehearsals)
We thank everyone in advance for their interest. Only complete applications will be considered.